Sunday, October 21, 2007

Angkasawan waste of money? I don't think so

I need to get this out of my chest cos in the midst of surfing for Dr Sheikh Muszaphar's information on the web, I keep seeing all these negative comments on Space Flight Participant, Space Tourist, waste of money, part time model, we didn't build a spaceship so we don't need to go to space and whatever else. Everyone has their own opinions and I have to respect that but I will need to disagree on this. Please note that I am not aligned to any political directions nor do I want to. I for one am excited that we sent an Angkasawan to space.

Space flight participant, space tourist, angkasawan or whatever, somebody has to foot the bill when you go to outer space. American taxpayers pays for their astronaut, Russian taxpayers pays for their cosmonauts and ,surprise, surprise Malaysian taxpayers for our angkasawan. A regular shuttle launch is about 1/2 a billion dollars ( from what I have been told) not to mention the billions of research since the 1950's and ours is far-far less then that. We didn't build a rocket or help to build the space station yet, and therefore we have no right to send someone to space. What??? Its like saying we didn't create the car so we have no right to drive. We have worked on satellites and big planes( I know some of the engineers there) so we are building skills. This is our first manned space mission so we might as well follow the experts rather then building our own spaceship.

Doctor Sheikh Muszaphar is Medical Doctor ( an achievement in itself) , an orthopaedic surgent, a University lecturer, a volunteer for Mercy Malaysia, a part time businessman, beat out 10000 candidates and survived a year in the Russian training facility. Very impressive but he is a part time model so he is less qualified. Ridiculous. This guy is qualified to go to space and that's it.

I do hope we can continue with space research. Maybe help to build part of a space station, a probe, eventually our own manned vehicle. Another angkasawan would be nice too but we will need to make it worth our money like getting a cure for cancer, AIDS, trying to solve world hunger..... I know we are going to pay more for this but as long as we don't starve doing it, we should be alright.

So, congratulations Dr Sheikh for landing safely and throughout the whole trip, you have represented Malaysia well and to the whole team which made this possible and here's to the future..